Saturday, October 27, 2007

Hoops Mania 07-08

Last night was Hoops Mania, the kick off to the 2007-2008 Villanova Basketball season. They have a scrimmage with one half of the team verses the other and also have special guest appearances. It started at 7:30 pm in the Pavilion, and the doors opened at 6:30. I got there around 6:30 and there was a long line to get in. I waited in line in the pouring rain, but didn't get in. They said the place was filled to capacity. I was pretty angry. As a senior this was my last Hoops Mania, and I was really looking forward to it. There's never been a crowd like that in previous years, so I was surprised I didn't get in even though I showed up an hour early.
On the bright side, the preseason coaches poll came out yesterday and Villanova is ranked #25 in the nation. I was surprised they made the top 25 after losing leading scorer and rebounder Curtis Sumpter. But they have 3 great freshmen: Corey Fisher, Corey Stokes, and Malcolm Grant. With the return of Big East Freshman of the Year Scottie Reynolds, I think this team will be really good and is deserving of the high ranking, but I'm just surprised that other people around the country realized it too. I would have preferred it if they came in under the radar, but we'll see how this young team handles these high expectations.

No comments: