Final Score: Villanova 67, Connecticut 65
Co-Players of the Game: Scottie Reynolds (18 pts) and Corey Stokes (18 pts)
Recap: Top 10 Moments from the Game
10. Dante Cunningham's fast break dunk that helped Nova jump out to an early 14-2 lead. They led by as many as 15 in the first half. More on Dante later...
9. The crowd as the sixth man. The Wachovia Center crowd stayed loud throughout the game, and helped motivate the team to play hard. The student section was full of "UCONN, UCAN'T" posters.
8. Dwayne Anderson. What more can you say about the guy. He does a little bit of everything. He had 5 points, 7 rebounds, 3 steals, and 2 assists. His time was somewhat limited today because of foul trouble, but his energy, rebounding, defensive intensity, and leadership have been a huge part of the team's recent success. It also helps when he's knocking down threes (1-3 today).
7. Holding Thabeet in check. He was only 2-3 from the field and although he had 10 rebounds, Thabeet was below his average with only 3 blocks today.
6. Antonio Pena filling in for Casiem Drummond. With Drummond out injured again, Pena got some extra minutes and played well. He had 10 points and 5 rebounds, and he did a decent job defending Thabeet.
5. Corey "Strokes'" third straight game with a career-high in scoring. He made 4 of 7 three-pointers to score 18 points. Beside hitting threes, Stokes showed the ability to drive to the basket and hit mid-range shots as well.
4. Scottie Reynolds stepping it up in the second half with 15 points. Overall he had 18 points and 4 assists on 7-14 shooting and 4-8 from three. Scottie's drive and lay-up over Hasheem Thabeet to give the Cats a 4 point lead with 39 seconds remaining was a key to the victory.
3. A.J. Price missing his first of two free throws with 6.4 seconds left. He could have tied the game at 66, and the game may have gone to overtime. Instead he missed, leaving UConn down by one and forced to foul.
2. Dante Cunningham saving the day with the offensive rebound off of his own missed free-throw with 4.9 seconds left and Villanova up by one. Dante had a great all-around game with 9 points, 5 rebounds, 5 steals, 3 assists, and 1 block.
1. Jay Wright finally getting his team to play "Villanova Basketball". This young Wildcats team has bought into Jay's program, and they are playing their best basketball at the right time of the season.
Next Game: Mon. Feb. 25, 7:00 pm, vs. Marquette, at the Wachovia Center