Foe: #25 Marquette Golden Eagles (11-2)
Recent History: Villanova is 6-5 all-time against Marqutte, but 1-2 since they've joined the Big East. With Tom Crean leaving for Indiana, this is Buzz Williams' first year as head coach. They are led by a trio of senior guards: Wesley Matthews (19.2 ppg), Jerel McNeal (17.1 ppg), and Dominic James (10.9 ppg, 5.2 apg). Forward Lazar Hayward is nearly averaging a double-double (17.2 ppg and 9.5 rpg). Marquette beat Nova 85-75 at the Wachovia Center last season. Villanova will need to take care of the ball against Marquette's quick guards. In last season's game Marquette had 15 steals and forced 23 turnovers.
Notable Win: 61-58 vs. #22 Wisconsin
Notable Loss: 80-68 vs. #19 Tennessee
Famous Alumni: Chris Farley, Dwyane Wade, Sen. Joe McCarthy, Lawrence Frank, Rick Majerus, Doc Rivers, William Gates
- Won NCAA championship in 1977
- Nickname was changed from Warriors to Golden Eagles in 1994 because it was considered disrespectful to Native Americans.
- Dwyane Wade led Marquette to a Final Four in 2003.
- Wade is one of only three players to record a triple-double in the NCAA Tournament.
- Marquette retired Wade's number in 2007 despite him never graduating from the school.
Final Verdict: This is a good, experienced Marquette team, and they will be especially difficult to beat on the road. This will be Villanova's first true road test and it is uncertain how they will respond. Nova has the talent to win this game, but they will need to put together a complete game of Villanova Basketball, which they have had difficulty doing this year, even against weaker teams.
TV: ESPN2 2:30
Links: ESPN, VUhoops, IBBW, LGN